[mythtv-users] Network, FC4, and APT issues

J. Scott jgscott987 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 28 16:09:17 UTC 2005

I have a couple of issues I'm dealing with on my myth box right now. I hope someone might be able to lend a hand.

1. Every time I restart the computer, access to the internet fails. I can still transfer files to other computers on my local network, but internet access is blocked. When I start my browser, it comes back almost immediately with "www.google.com could not be found"

Interestingly, all I have to do to enable internet access is to open the 'Network' control panel and select 'Save' from the menu (without making any changes in the settings). Internet access is then immediately enabled until I restart the computer again.

2. I just upgraded from FC3 to FC4 (via disc) on my backend/frontend. Now when I try to run APT, I get an error that 'The program version 4.3 doesn't match environment version'. I updated the sources.list file to reflect FC4, but this didn't fix the problem.

I also get an error about a lot of unmet dependencies when I try "apt-get dist-upgrade". It recommends running "apt-get --fix-broken", but when I do that it implies that it is going to uninstall half of my system. Note that when I try to run yum I get the same type of errors.

So here we are... Is there a reasonably easy fix for these problems, or do I just need to do a clean install of FC4 and myth? If I need to do a clean install, how do I keep my existing recordings and program scheduling?

Thanks a bunch for everyone's help!