[mythtv-users] dvdrip -> MythTV - How do I use a vob file?

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 22:08:01 UTC 2005

As I understand it, DVD players can't deal with file sizes larger than
1 GB. So when you rip a DVD with most common tools, you'll get
consecutive vobs of a max 1GB in size.

You don't need to stitch them back together, but there is a short
pause when the player "changes reels". Of course, there is no 1GB
restriction in Linux, so look if your ripping tool supports going to a
single .vob file.

The native MythDVD ripper supports this, I believe, as well as ripping
the disc to an iso -- which will keep menus and special features.