[mythtv-users] Methods for perfecting NVidia TV Output (was 350 Tv Out vs. Nvidia 5200)

Stephen Williams stephen.gw at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 20:05:28 UTC 2005

On 8/26/05, Craig Tinson <craig at 8010.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I'm in the UK too - with a sony skybox and a mx440 going to an *old*
> Sanyo widescreen CRT TV (which I *wish* I could figure out how to get a
> proper modeline to work with that TV!)
>
> Can you buy convertors like you describe? or do you *have* to solder
> them together?
>
> I'm not much use with a soldering iron so would prefer to buy one if
> possible
>
> If I *have* to solder one - is there anywhere I can look for *easy*
> instructions on what will be needed?
>
> Thanks
>
> Craig

I'm afraid you have to solder it, nobody sells them because there's a
theoretical possibility they can damage your TV, although i've never
heard of that actually happening and it's been working fine for me for
over a year.

I managed to put one together or around £10 of parts. It's easiest if
you can salvage a VGA cable from an old / dead monitor and half a
scart cable. I've never soldered anything before in my life but didn't
have a problem, so it can't be that hard.

I pretty much followed this guide
http://www.sput.nl/hardware/tv-x.html although I had to put power on a
few other pins so the TV recognised that a signal was present and was
widescreen (google for a scart pin-out and you find this information).

If you're anywhere near the Bath area i'd be happy to demonstrate the results.

Steve