[mythtv-users] PAL vs NTSC for dvd rips

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 07:14:35 UTC 2005

On 8/25/05, Ryan Steffes <rbsteffes at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was looking at some of my videos that I ripped with various tools, and I
> realized some of them at 25fps and some are at 23.93fps.  I'm assuming this
> means some are PAL and some are NTSC.  Does it matter?  If I have no
> intention of burning them as video, is there any point to converting them
> with different fps or reripping them?

If they are all NTSC TV-sourced, they shouldn't be 25fps at all (only
PAL/SECAM), but 29.97 frames/second - if they are DVD rips there may
be some PAL video in there, but I'm not sure how well PAL plays on
NTSC sets.

24fps material is that originating from progressive film that can be
telecined to 29.97 fps for NTSC countries (first step slows the 24fps
material to 23.976fps, the second step manipulates the progressive
frames into fields which can then be convrted to 29.97 interlaced NTSC
material - 4 progressive frames result in 10 interlaced fields).

If the movies play OK on your system, there's not really a problem,
although there may be issues with audio sync and/or pitch. If you
still have the source videos, I would probably re-encode them to make
sure the source and destination properties match.

Nick