[mythtv-users] Network control?

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 04:46:37 UTC 2005

On 25/08/05, Mickey Chandler <mickc at whizardries.com> wrote:
> At 09:25 PM 8/25/2005, Andrew Ziobro wrote:
>  >I use VNC to connect to the machine from my laptop.
>
> Right.  I have VNC as well, but will that send output to the TV or
> does it ultimately act as an independent XWindows session.  Perhaps
> that's my answer and I'm just unclear on what VNC actually
> does.  Frankly, I'd love to be wrong this once and have the answer
> sitting at my fingertips.

What VNC does depends on how you have it setup.

If you are running VNCServer, every VNC client that logs in will get a
new X session.

If you are using X11VNC (Or the "VNC" module in XFree86-Config-4), the
VNC client gets a copy of the current display (In this case, the
display on the TV). VNC then sends all keypresses and mouse movements
to that display, and mirrors the result in a window on your monitor.

Therefore, if you have X11VNC (Or the "VNC" Module) set up, you can
remotely control the TV.
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston