[mythtv-users] 350 Tv Out vs. Nvidia 5200

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 26 03:31:31 UTC 2005

The early revision XBox units have a Conexant chip (I
think a 2587x) chip, which is an excellent chip for
TV-out solutions.  I had the chance to work briefly
with one in one of the products that the company I
work for makes.

The quality is so good, that I considered inquiring
about forking out the money for a reference board
(there is an AGP version available) just to use it for
MythTV (after writing a driver, of course).

That said, I'm using an eVGA GeForce 5200FX card, and
the TV-Out picture quality is quite acceptable, if I
enable the Bob de-interlacer, and use OpenGL VSync.
The OSD flickers like mad sometimes though, depending
on the text displaying in it (and maybe the video
content playing).

Now that XV support is in the PVR-350, I'm thinking
about giving it a shot again.  I already tried it with
Xine, and it was working well, but I didn't get a
chance to try it with xmame.  The two downsides to the
PVR-350, as far as I'm concerned are:
1. Lack of overscan controls
2. XV doesn't work too well with MythTV yet, I'm
pretty sure that is an ivtv driver issue.  You have to
enable some form of deinterlacing to get a decent
picture on the PVR-350, if you don't use the MPEG
decoder, and Bob causes all sorts of strange effects.
Mind you, the only reason to not use the decoder would
be so that I could have a program guide that doesn't
take up the full screen.  It's a trade-off, I guess.

On the other hand, if anybody knows anything more than
I do, for getting good output on the 5200FX, I'd be
more than happy to experiment.

-- Joe