[mythtv-users] gdm and qt (autologin solution)

David myth at dgreaves.com
Thu Aug 25 16:19:54 UTC 2005

gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) wrote:

> Mike Daugird wrote:
>
>> I just installed knoppmyth and I want to know why use gdm with QT?
>> don't you need a base kde install to have it work?
>

> to have which work?  Qt is a dependency of KDE, so it obviously can't
> require KDE ... GDM is the GNOME Desktop Manager, which means it uses
> GNOME libraries, which include GTK+ .. it doesn't mean you're running
> the whole GNOME Desktop, so don't worry as much about it taking up
> resources, it's small compared to the whole GNOME desktop ...
>
> On the other hand, if you'd rather stick to one major toolkit (Qt),
> you can run XDM, which is part of X (it's the "X Desktop Manager") ...
> i don't know if it is as flexible as GDM, i haven't used it in years
> ... personally, i think i use KDM (mostly because my FE used to be a
> desktop and I preferred KDE), so i don't have to load GTK+ (or even
> have it installed) ... it does require kdelibs, but again, it's not
> like you're running the full KDE

and...

Knoppmyth is a carefully selected set of packages that allow you to run
a dedicated myth box.
Honestly, why do you really care that they selected gdm? Since it uses
autologin it only ever appears if Myth crashes...
If you think you can justify a better approach then you should be
talking to the knoppmyth dev team.
If, on the other hand, you're using it as a desktop then maybe knoppmyth
isn't the best starting point?

Personally, if you want a minimal login/startup system then I think
they'd do better with a line like this:
  6:23:respawn:/sbin/mingetty --autologin mythtv tty6
in /etc/inittab

and this in the myth user's ~/.profile:

[ `tty` = '/dev/tty6' ] && exec /usr/bin/X11/startx
/usr/bin/mythfrontend -v 255 2>&1 > ~/myth.log
[ -f .aliases ] && . .aliases
[ -f .prompt  ] && . .prompt

which is how I do it on my frontend.

David