[mythtv-users] Watch TV works, but recording doesn't.

Andrew Haigh andrewhaigh at ntlworld.com
Thu Aug 25 01:15:50 UTC 2005

Darius Hardy wrote:
[various edits made to keep things brief]
> The whole point is that MythTV really needs to know what channel your
> cable box is showing, it can't do that if it can't control the box.

I see. So if I feed it (say) a vcr that happens to contain 'x' as its
input, it won't let me record it. Unless I lie and say it is
channel/program 'y'. And what happens when the broadcaster doesn't exist
n the web/gets the data wrong?

> MythTV works very well... It just _has_ to be set up first!

Well, my point is that as a 'consumer', I don't want to know all of that
  complex stuff. I want it to 'just work'.

> Erm, not with anything like what MythTV gives you, the windows software
> is a basic VCR, if you want that MythTV is not for you.

I see no reason why it should not _also_ work as a basic vcr.

> The basic UK set-up gives you just about everything you need. You have
> to tell it which channels you're subscribed to but that takes all of
> about half an hour (you'll need to know the xmltvid names that
> radiotimes uses for each channel [tv_grab_uk_rt --list-channels] gives
> you them - they look like URLs.)
>
>> I figured I should be able to use it just record the current input
>> stream - much like a vcr. But it doesn't seem to work that way.
>>
> MythTV isn't a VCR, it's a PVR - it relies on knowing what is on and when.

Ok. I still don't think it should be an essential. But if thats what it
is then thats what it is.

> If you've not set it up properly it won't know which (radiotimes)
> channel maps to which (in Myth).
>
>> Does this give any more clues? Is the 'record' function really
>> predicated on the channel info being available?
>>
> Yes because when you tell it to record it uses the tv-guide to know when
> the program ends.
>
> Once you've got it set up you'll never go back ;-) A few hours fiddling
> around is really worth it!

I would say its consumed a lot more than a few hours. And I'm a software
engineer with a fair bit of linux experience. How many non-software
engineers get it working?

Finally, thanks to those people who replied, it gives me (some) hope.

-- Andrew