[mythtv-users] System Setup: Dual Opterons, Firewire, Xvmc, Homebrew Lirc, 64-bit packages, Hdtv (DVI to HDMI), Panasonic PT-AE700U Projector, Optical Digital Audio Surround Output

David Ellis david at ellisonline.ca
Wed Aug 24 16:55:53 UTC 2005

A general note on 64 bit MythTV.

1)       64 Bit MythTV works with some caveats.

a.       Xvmc drivers for Nvidia hardware (from Nvidia) are really bad with
current (7667) releases....hopefully this will improve later, but for now
64bit XVMC is spotty at best (it works every 5th or 6th time).

b.       MythTV itself is pretty stable on 64bit Linux (I run my backend
24x7 - I've had three crashes in three months - not too bad).

c.       Mplayer/Xine work, but have limited codecs for some third party
AVI's - basically anything that requires a 32bit codec WON'T work - until
the 64 bit implementations are more readily available.

2)       64 bit Linux is pretty mature with support for most packages:

a.       I run mtd for ripping DVD's

b.       Lirc

c.       Apache2 for mythweb

d.       Asterisk

e.       X10 Home Automation thru CM11U and Firecracker

f.         Samba

g.       Postfix/Cyrus IMAP & POP

h.       WUFTP

i.         Tinyftp

j.         Sphinx2

k.       Festival

l.         phpBBS

To sum it up, if you absolutely must have the 32bit codecs (ie. You have a
lot of pre-existing AVI's), or you absolutely must have XVMC acceleration
for HDTV (I do my HDTV thru xv) you should go the 32bit route. Given your
processor specs, HDTV will be fine with a good Nvidia class AGP/PCI-E card
(5200 or better, recommend the 6600). For example my HDTV

David

  _____