[mythtv-users] Transcode Mpeg2 stream from firewire to smaller Mpeg2 stream

Mark Rizzo mrizzo at perpetual.com
Wed Aug 24 00:51:21 UTC 2005

Greetings,

I understand that when I record from my Motorola cable box via firewire
that MythTV just records the raw mpeg2 stream and places a .nuv
extension on the file.  Obviously these files are fairly large.  I have
played with transcoding to rtjpeg and mpeg4 using the native options
inside Myth, however I am not that happy with the results.

I would like to run an external job to transcode the mpeg2 (.nuv) file
to a smaller mpeg2.  I want to still keep the basic format so that it
can stay as a .nuv file that is really just an mpeg2 file.  I know
MythTV cannot do this natively so I am willing to use ffmpeg or
transcode (or combination).  I don't want to use Mplayer to play once I
transcode.

Ffmpeg and Transcode have a billion options.  Can someone help me with
the commands to convert an mpeg2 file to a more highly compressed mpeg2
file?  I can handle renaming back to .nuv or whatever is necessary as
script.

Thanks in advance,

Mark Rizzo