[mythtv-users] 350 Tv Out vs. Nvidia 5200

Dave dbadia at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 19:49:24 UTC 2005

On 8/23/05, Mark Gardner <markgard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can anyone comment on the quality comparison between the two
> abovementioned chipsets?
>
> Advantages / Disadvantages, I have a 350 and have struggled on and off
> now for about 5 months to get it to work (Got it to work once but then
> the HD died).
> Mostly interested in quality of TV playback.

After using the PVR-350 for a year and a half, I've recently started
to transition to the NVidia 5200, solely b/c of HD compatibility.  I
did a test during MNF last night and I have noticed a rather dramatic
difference in picture quality between the two:
	Using the 350, it's pretty hard to tell the difference between the
original source material and the recorded content.
	Using 5200 (with the same recording), the image looks very soft,
colors are dull (although this can probably be fixed via Myth), and
the it appears that frames are dropped during fast motion video (the
picture seems to "skip" compared to the same clip on the PVR-350).  I
don't think it's a HP problem as my CPU sits at 20% util max on an
AMD64 3000+ during SD playback.

I'm pretty disappointed by the dramatic the difference between the
two, I expected the two outputs to "similar" like most people mention.

The part that doesn't make sense to me is that HD playback is smoother
than SD playback - it seems it would be the other way around since HD
requires more processing.

Just my 2 cents.  Maybe there are some settings I should be tweaking,
as I seem to be the only one who thinks there is a dramatic difference
between the 2....

Dave