[mythtv-users] Slightly OT - Controlling the CPU fan

Lee mythtv at varga.co.uk
Sun Aug 21 21:07:35 UTC 2005

>> One of the other suggestions I've seen but not tried is to use 12v
>> fans but run them off the 5v supply so they spin slow and quiet.

Don't try this at home folks!! Running 12V fans at 5V is dangerous, they
have a habit of NOT starting reliably.
It may start OK when the lids off, but may not when it's back under the
TV...  With possibly tragic results...

>> There are also adapters so you can dial down the fan voltages with a
>> little pot.

Yes, Zalman and others do these, it's the right way to do it, they use
'proper' pwm, so the fan gets the full 12V, but for a variable amount of
time... you can dial-in the right mix of 'loudness' vs 'throughput'...