[mythtv-users] Playing old bt8x8 recordings now I've upgraded to DVB and SPDIF sound

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 05:30:04 UTC 2005

> Are the recordings using 44kHz audio? If so I think you'll need to do
> some ALSA configuring and use the plug plugin to resample the audio to
> 48kHz which the SPDIF wants.
>
> There's Michael Dean's excellent article here which explains what's needed:
>
> http://mythtv.info/moin.cgi/DigitalSoundHowTo
>
> I've followed this article to understand it and have got my audio
> working well now through my SPDIF playing all audio I throw at it. The
> article gives you 4 possible output devices which is great - I use the
> mixed-digital device with no problems.

I had actually used this originally and then found that everything
worked without a .asoundrc file - or so I thought! I hadn't actually
tried those old recordings. Anyway, I've now put the .asoundrc file
back and set the audio output device to ALSA:mixed-digital (which I
think may just be an alias to ALSA:spdif which is what I had before).
Now it does play the old recordings as well as the new ones, BUT I now
can't play MP3s in Myth Music any more :( That seems strange because
in the .asoundrc it says mixed-digital can play any rate as it
converts it to 48kHz.

I've attached my .asoundrc below (sorry for the large post). Does
anyone know what I need to do to get this last part of my audio
working?

<snip>
pcm.!default {
  type plug
## Uncomment the following to use mixed analog by default
#  slave.pcm "dmix-analog"
## Uncomment the following to use unmixed digital by default
#  slave.pcm "digital-hw"
## Uncomment the following to use mixed digital by default
  slave.pcm "dmix-digital"
}

pcm.analog {
 type plug
 slave.pcm "analog-hw"
}

ctl.analog {
 type hw
 card 0
}

pcm.mixed-analog {
 type plug
 slave.pcm "dmix-analog"
}

ctl.mixed-analog {
 type hw
 card 0
}

pcm.digital {
 type plug
 slave.pcm "digital-hw"
}

ctl.digital {
 type hw
 card 0
}

pcm.mixed-digital {
 type plug
 slave.pcm "dmix-digital"
}

ctl.mixed-digital {
 type hw
 card 0
}

pcm.analog-hw {
 type hw
 card 0
 # The default value for device is 0, so no need to specify
}

ctl.analog-hw {
 type hw
 card 0