[mythtv-users] LIRC controlling a set-top box

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 02:40:17 UTC 2005

On 8/20/05, Marty Ravell <mythtv at rave-tech.com.au> wrote:

> I've just built a transmitter for use with LIRC
> (http://www.lirc.org/improved_transmitter.html) and while I
> guess I should post on the LIRC list I was hoping that someone out there has
> gone through the config of this sort of device specifically for use with
> MythTV.

OK. So you have the IR receiver connected to the PVR card, and the
transmitter connected to a serial port?

> LIRC is working well with the Hauppage remote as detailed in Jarod's most
> excellent guide and I have inserted the codes for my STB into
> /etc/lircd.conf.

Good

> Unfortunately I get errors when trying to use irsend:
>
> #irsend SEND_ONCE stb1 1
>
> Irsend: command failed: SEND_ONCE stb1
>
> Irsend: hardware does not support sending
>
> stb1 is the name of the remote entry in lircd.conf.

OK. Here's where it might be going wrong. How many instances of LIRC
are you running? If its only 1, and you're using lirc_dev and
lirc_i2c, then only the Hauppauge hardware is being using used which
means it can't send.

> Does anyone know how to configure LIRC so that it will be able to send to
> one remote and still receive the Hauppage remote? I think this is doable but
> have not been able to find much as yet on the web detailing how the config
> is done.

What you need to do is configure a second instance of LIRC to driver
the serial based transmitter. Full instructions are here:

http://losdos.dyndns.org:8080/public/mythtv-info/MythTV_DISH_IR_LED_TX_via_Modified_LIRC.html

I am now running a receiver/transmitter device running off one serial
port (I took a working receiver and transmitter and soldered them into
the same shell. This made is somewhat simpler for LIRC as the single
instance of LIRC when compiled with send support can with receive and
send IR signals.

HTH,
Nick