[mythtv-users] Happauge PVR-500 Linux Support Feedback

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 20 02:22:54 UTC 2005

See inline.

-- Joe

--- "Zach.Burlingame" <zach.burlingame at gmail.com>
wrote:

>    I am reading up on creating my own MythTV setup
> in our apartment and one
> of the things I am currently debating is using 2
> Hauppauge PVR-150s or 1
> Hauppauge PVR-500 because of its dual
> tuners/encoders. I noticed that in the
> case of the PVR-150 there is both a "vanilla"
> version and an "MCE" (for
> Windows XP Media Center Edition). However, I can
> only find the PVR-500 in
> the MCE flavor. I will be receiving one signal from
> digital cable using an
> IR blaster to control the cable box and the other
> signal from the basic
> cable. I do PLAN on moving both to digital cable, so
> if the PVR-500 does not
> support dual IR blasters, that would break its
> contention in my decision. My
> questions are as follows:
>

> Is the Hauppauge PVR-500 only offered as the
> "PVR-500MCE"?

That appears to be the case.  I figure that if
Hauppauge was selling the cards in the non-MCE
version, they likely would, because lots of people
would be interested in it.  (On the other hand, it
might cut into their sales of PVR-x50 cards too).

> How is the support in Linux for the PVR-500 (e.g. is
> it any more difficult
> running two tuners/encoders on the PVR-500 versus 2
> separate PVR-150s)?

The ivtv driver sees PVR-500 as two PVR-150 cards.  I
don't know about the radio though, I haven't tried it.

> What is your general experience / recommendation on
> the single PVR-500
> versus dual PVR-150 decision?

I've never used a PVR-150, but I'm very happy with my
PVR-500.  I use it along with a PVR-250 for a total of
three tuners.