[mythtv-users] Found an Awesome Remote

Tim Hamer tdh1 at cec.wustl.edu
Fri Aug 19 17:29:40 UTC 2005

Scott Minneman wrote:
> On 8/19/05, Jesse Guardiani <jesse at wingnet.net> wrote:
>
>>Richard Bronosky wrote:
>>
>>[...]
>>

>>>I wish this thing was RF!  Why don't they make high end remotes use
>>>high power RF?
>>

>>Well how is an RF device supposed to control an IR device? They'd have
>>to include a base station
>>that converts RF to IR, and it would need to either be in line of site
>>of all your equipment (think
>>wall mount maybe?) or include tethers, like my IR Blaster.
>>
>>Basically, it raises the complexity level significantly. But, to be
>>honest, I think a remote would
>>have to include this sort of functionality before I would consider
>>dumping more than $50 on it. :)
>>

>>--
>>Jesse Guardiani
>>Programmer/Sys Admin
>>jesse at wingnet.net

> My TV may not be RF, but my wireless keyboard is.  I'd really like a
> universal remote that handles both IR and RF, so I can control the
> entire entertainment system with only one remote.  I want to control
> the Myth box through the RF receiver, since it will stay hooked up
> anyway (in case keyboard use on the console is ever necessary), and so
> I can avoid the hassle of lirc.
>
> Does anyone know of a good IR/RF universal remote?  Bonus points if
> it's as sexy as the Harmony...

every RF remote i've ever seen can only be used with its own specific RF
equipment, so you won't find one to control your keyboard i dont think.

As far as good IR/RF remotes go, one for all makes a very good one for a
resonable price

http://www.ofausa.com/remote.php?type=URC%209910

got it at fry's for $50, and it comes with the basestation. it's a very
large remote, but it has full learning, macros, and a small lcd display.
works out by the pool just fine.