[mythtv-users] backend / frontend not completly clear to me

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 19:41:06 UTC 2005

On 8/18/05, Roel Gielen <r.gielen at home.nl> wrote:

> >>Thanks for the replies,
> >>
> >>I have standing an AMD 1800+ Athlon 512MB in my basement,
> >>think I will buy a tuner to put in there. and connect the tv cable
> >>to that machine. And use a front end on my own room.
> >>What is the best hardware configuratiion for the front end?
> >>800Mhz 256MB enough? because it only needs to stream the video...
> >>

> >The backend doesn't need to be all that powerful.  You may
> >want to switch those two devices if possible.  Other than
> >transcoding, you shouldn't need much more than a 1ghz
> >for a backend.
> >
> >What is the network connection in between - wired or wireless?
> >Either one should work, but an 800mhz p3 should do fine as
> >a frontend for everything but HD.
> >
> >Paul

> No I dont think I am gonna switch those two machines, that 1800+ makes a noise like a lawn mower... wouldnt be confortable haveing that machine standing in my room...  it stands nice in the basement, so nobody hears the noise :)
>
> The connection is wired 100mbit,
> What do you mean with : "800mhz p3 should do fine as a frontend for
> everything but HD"  hd?
>
> another question, if I buy a tv-tuner card with an radio tuner on board,
> does mythtv support that?
>
> Roel
>
> Roel

HD is High Definition TV.

If you buy anything other than a PVR-150/250/350/500 as your
tuner/capture card then your backend might be a little taxed if it's
doing anything other than just mythtv.  If you buy something else (we
call them analog capture cards) you will be capturing in RTJpeg or
Mpeg4, not mpeg2.  If you get one with FM, there seems to be some work
in that direction, but I haven't really seen a desire personally so I
haven't looked into it much, regarding myth anyway.

It would seem that at the very least you want to spend the 20 bucks
and get a bt878 based card.  Next best thing would be one of those
150's above, I think you can nab one for somewhere around 60 nowadays.

Good Luck!