[mythtv-users] I'm so frustrated. (PVR-500)

Todd Ignasiak ignasiak at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 18:37:09 UTC 2005

I got my PVR-500 working, after some initial difficulties.
Unfortunately, I was thrashing through so many different changes, I
can't say with confidence what the key issues were for me..    Also,
I am using Gentoo x86-64, not KnoppMyth..    But, here are some of the
things I tweaked to get mine working:

- These page have good info:

http://www.bitbenderforums.com/~ralpha6/knoppmyth/knoppmythtv.htm
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4704

- Check the order of modules loaded.  I also have an HD3000 and a
FusionHDTV3 in mine,  and changing the order of modules loaded
effected which cards worked.    I'm still playing with this.. as it is
now, when I reboot I need to rmmod ivtv, then re-load it to get it to
work.

- Specifying tuner type in module parameters (in /etc/modules.conf).
When I had the wrong tuner type (or no tuner specified) I got black &
white video, or hung video.

  options ivtv ivtv_std=0 tuner=57,57 tda9887=-1,0,0 ivtv_debug=1
  options cx25840 i2c_enable=-1,1,1

- Use ivtvctl to set the pvr-500 in the right modes:

     /usr/local/bin/ivtvctl -d /dev/video0 -u 1 -f width=720,height=480 -p 6
     /usr/local/bin/ivtvctl -d /dev/video1 -u 1 -f width=720,height=480 -p 6

- check for messages like "ivtv: i2c client addr: 0x44 not found for
command 1074029571! " in your dmesg output.   Re-loading ivtv resolved
this for me.

Good luck,
Todd