[mythtv-users] OT: Alarm Clock?

gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) glandix at lloydnet.org
Thu Aug 18 18:18:36 UTC 2005

Chris Lynch wrote:
> This is somewhat OT but it got me thinking when I looked in the
> feature quests and saw one for a MythAlarm type of concept.  I'm
> looking for some ideas as to what others are done.  I just put a myth
> frontend in my bedroom and thought I could replace my old buzzing
> alarm clock with something that would play different MP3s and support
> multiple alarms/schedules.  Possibly also support LIRC...
>
> Has anyone done this and what did you use?

i've done similar, albeit not with myth ... i just used xmms and a cron
job ... i'd either setup a playlist in xmms and exit properly so it'd
use that playlist or setup and save a playlist and select it in the
crontab (i did both, but i think i had better results with using the
"last played" playlist method, since i could change what played each
night if i wanted) ...

someone once told me there was some shoutcast/icecast stream that was
setup to be used as an alarm clock ... it had two completely unrelated
audio tracks playing at once .. for an audiophile/music nazi like me,
that would successfully annoy the hell outta me!  need to find that
again ... i've been sleeping in 'till noon again :(

-g-