[mythtv-users] Archiving Shows to DVD

Jim Reith reith at racores.com
Thu Aug 18 14:05:36 UTC 2005

At 09:43 AM 8/18/2005, you wrote:
>On 8/13/05, Martin Bene <martin.bene at icomedias.com> wrote:
> > Another update for the mythburn scripts, no new features this time but
> > major rewrite of configuration.
>[...]
> > Let me know why it doesn't work for you and how I broke your system :-)
>
>I'm on Gentoo - config worked fine.
>
>First Problem: The auto-detection of ProjectX. My ProjectX comes as a
>jar that needs to be called from java. I'm sure I could have put
>together a shell script that mimics the "projectx" executable the
>script wants to see, but being a lazy guy, I just hard-coded the
>correct command into the script...
>
>DVD creation went well (escept for the flipped thumbnails, but I found
>the flag for that), next snag I hit was my apache user not being
>allowed to write DVDs. I'll fix that another  day - calling growisofs
>manually to write out the DVD produced a fine looking result (except
>for the thumbs, but that should be taken care of now).
>
>As soon as I get the permissions issue sorted out, this will be my new
>default way of burning DVDs from Myth. Thanks a lot for your effort!

I am also happy to report back to the list that backchannel Martin and I
have sorted out my system problems. First I had some unstable releases
loaded and downgraded to the stable versions. Next I also had access
permissions to fix on /dev/dvd. Finally we found that I've been recording
all my shows at 480x480 for some reason so I had to change that back to
720x480. This morning I was able to create a working DVD with chapter menus
from my KnoppMyth machine. Thank you Martin for your scripts and your help
and patience.

Jim (yea! 8^)