[mythtv-users] Prebuffering pause - how I fixed mine

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Thu Aug 18 13:29:53 UTC 2005

On Thu, Aug 18, 2005 at 04:39:02AM -0400, Joe Carter wrote:
> Then I realised my hub (another freebie cast off) is just a 10Mbps one.
> Directly link the two machines (100Mb cards) and voila, it works.
> So bog standard ethernet can't cope with fast streams from sources like
> the BBC. Superb picture btw :-)

When you use a non-synchronous hub (regardless of speed) the throughput
falls dramatically because the connection is simplex and the
collision-detection method of arbitrating access leads to a lot of
failed transmissions and wasted bandwidth while the nodes back off for
a random period of time before retransmitting.  It's like trading in
your telephone for a CB radio.  Utilization rates of 40% are typical.

A direct connection would improve the bandwidth usage even without the
increase to 100MBit because the connection would become full-duplex and
there would be no collisions since there is only one transmitter on
each pair of wires.

If you want to have more than 2 computers you need to use a switch (or
"broadband router").