[mythtv-users] network/DHCP setup in KnoppMyth/Debian (was: Gee, I THOUGHT I was a linux fan.)

Richard Bronosky mythtv at bronosky.com
Tue Aug 16 15:41:02 UTC 2005

Lee wrote:

> shadestalker at gmail.com wrote:

>>> Right, but I was asking how to do this AFTER installation.  I fixed the
>>> IP address by completely reinstalling from scratch, which is a real
>>> stupid thing to have to do.  But when you spend 3 hours feeling like an
>>> idiot, it's time to humble out and admit you are one.  So, how does one
>>> setup the network on KnoppMyth (or maybe any Debian) AFTER initial
>>> install?
>>>

>> Edit /etc/network/interfaces to tell debian / knoppix how to bring up
>> your default interface.  'man interfaces' for information and some
>> good examples.  After that, it's as simple as running 'ifup
>> eth0.
>>
>> Give yourself time to absorb this stuff so you don't get frustrated
>> and blame yourself or Knoppmyth.  It's usually just a question of
>> getting used to a certain way of doing things or knowing where to
>> start searching to find the answers.  I haven't used Knoppix except to
>> run off CD once or twice, but I highly recommend the Debian docs at
>> http://www.debian.org/doc/ as a starting point.
>>

> Or you can just run the setup again - mythtv-setup, it has options to
> change the IP address on the first screen IIRC...

No, mythtv-setup does not configure the local network settings.  In
KnoppMyth that is done during initial install, and then the mythtv-setup
gets called.  So if you later call mythtv-setup manually, you jump into
the flow just after the network setup which you are trying to achieve.

The solution I found is this:  KnoppMyth comes with the package "pump"
(among many others) installed.  (If you are using an clean Debian
install, you may need to call "apt-get update; apt-get install pump;")
So by calling "sudo pump -i eth0" (your system may require eth1, but
unlikely) I was able to get my network connected.  I tested by calling
"ifconfig" and then "lynx yahoo.com" and was please to see success.

--

	Thank you for your time,
	--==<< R i c h a r d   B r o n o s k y >>==--

Nearly all viruses and spyware are designed to use Microsoft internet products.  Protect yourself by avoiding Internet Explorer & Outlook/Outlook Express.