[mythtv-users] Where's the log file?

ffrr ffrr at tpg.com.au
Tue Aug 16 13:33:45 UTC 2005

Kevin Kuphal wrote:

> ffrr wrote:
>
>> I am trying to find the backend log (as reported in the system status
>> section of the frontend.  All I have found is a .logrotate file in
>> /etc/logrotate.d with this inside it.
>>
>> /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log {
>>    notifempty
>>    missingok
>>    compress
>>    compresscmd /usr/bin/bzip2
>>    uncompresscmd /usr/bin/bunzip2
>>    compressext .bz2
>>    weekly
>>    rotate 4
>>    size 10M
>> }
>>

>> But, /var/log/mythtv  is empty.
>>

>> So, where is the log?
>

> What does your startup script for mythbackend look like?  Are you
> capturing a log file?

I see what you are getting at.  At the moment I just

sudo -HP -u dklock mythbackend &

in my rc.local script, and I could redirect the output to a log file.
Thanks for that suggestion.

You see, I thought it was handled more elegantly than this, because of
the 'log' that the mythfrontend GUI info page can display.  Where is
_that_ kept? - in the database?   The reason behind my looking for this
file is that from time time it reports "Last message repeated xxx time"
but I can't see what message it means.