[mythtv-users] real format of .nuv from DVB-T card (mpeg2 with no header?)

Jesper Sörensen jesper at datapartner.se
Tue Aug 16 12:02:37 UTC 2005

Phill Edwards skrev:
>>>Here's what I don't understand.  You demuxed it, edited it, then remuxed
>>>it.  But wasn't it mpeg2 to start with?
>>
>>MPEG-2 is a broad standard. The recordings are in MPEG-2 Transport
>>Stream (TS) format while DVD:s use the MPEG-2 Program Stream format so
>>they are "same same but different"...

[cut]

> So if you record in PS not TS does that mean these problems wouldn't
> occur with DVDStyler?

Well, Myth does have an on-the-fly TS->PS converter built in, but it is
obsolete/unmaintained and not recommended unless you know what you're
doing and really need it for some reason?

As far as I know:
- PS doesn't work with XvMC & multiple audio streams (audio problems IIRC)
- PS doesn't support DVB subtitles and probably not teletext either
- Not sure about AC3 support in PS
- TS means less processing of the bitstream so less CPU usage and less
risk of data corruption

TS recording for DVB is pretty new in Myth (since 0.18?) but it seems to
be working very well and my guess is that the PS recorder will
eventually be removed.

TS recording is also what the HDTVRecorder uses so it enables us to
share much more code.