[mythtv-users] BBC bitrates - Freeview versus Satellite

Nigel Metheringham nigel.metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Tue Aug 16 08:28:26 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-16 at 08:03 +0100, Mark Kendall wrote:
> I'm thinking about adding a satellite feed to my existing terrestrial
> based setup. From memory, the bitrate for BBC1/2 is around 3-4Mbs on
> Freeview - does anyone know what the equivalent bitrate is for the
> BBC's satellite (Astra2D) feed? i.e. will I get better picture
> quality?

Personally I doubt it - the BBC1/2 bit rates on Freeview are better than
DVD quality (I've found I need to downrate the mpeg files from those
channels to make them DVD spec compliant).  Interestingly many of the
other channels are lower bit rates - for example I have recordings of
the recent Dr Who series.  A 45 minute episode from BBC 1 (probably with
a little padding round it) is 1.8GB in size.  The *same* episode from
the BBC repeat is 1.1GB.  And thats a consistent difference.

	Nigel.