[mythtv-users] Restricting Capture Cards to Front Ends

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Mon Aug 15 21:17:18 UTC 2005

Todd Greene wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Been enjoying my HD Myth box, and thinking of taking it to the next
> level.  I've got some older PCs that I'd like to use as front ends,
> but they aren't powerful enough to support HD.  What I'd like to do is
> run a standard NTSC capture card on the backend, and ensure that the
> less powerful front ends only display video from the NTSC card, not
> the HD capture card.
>
> Any ideas how to do this?

Don't watch content recorded from the HD channels on those frontends?  :)

I don't believe there is any way to auto-magically do it but one way I
could think would be to record HD programs using one Recording group and
record SD in another Recording group and then configure those frontends
to show their initial view filtered to that Recording group.  It's not
perfect but it would work as long as you're not using Recording groups
for another purpose.

Kevin