[mythtv-users] Gee, I THOUGHT I was a linux fan.

ml at itmm.ca ml at itmm.ca
Mon Aug 15 15:31:12 UTC 2005

Quoting Richard Bronosky <mythtv at bronosky.com>:

> Phil Bridges wrote:
>
>> Comments in-line.
>>
>> On 8/15/05, Richard Bronosky <mythtv at bronosky.com> wrote:
>>

>>> 2.  I now have my network working.  (I know because I used a text based
>>> browser to hit Yahoo.com.)  But, I cannot get the DataDirect "Retrieve
>>> Listings" button to do anything.  (I get a new box to popup with no text
>>> and a half complete progress bar.  A second later it is gone.)  Yes, I
>>> did setup an account on labs.Zap2It.com, and add "Comcast-Dallas (for
>>> 30134)" (BTW, that's Georgia) to my "Current lineups".  What am I doing
>>> wrong here?  Is there a log file somewhere I can check?
>>>

>> I *believe* that this is the part of the Myth-setup that takes a while
>> to run.  See: http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-9.html
>>
>> "Once you have chosen your provider, press RETURN to continue. XMLTV
>> will now begin collecting the initial data for your location. The
>> screen may blank for a few seconds to several minutes, depending on
>> the load of the listings provider and the speed of your connection to
>> the Internet. Be patient!"
>>

> Yeah, that is the part, but instead of it taking a few minutes it tries
> for 1 second and quits.  When it's done, there is still nothing in the
> listings (or lineups, I forget the exact term) drop down.  If there is
> only one listing in my Zap2It account it should still show up right?

Connections to datadirect have been really flakey for me as of late.

That progress bar to retrieve your lineups should only take a few
seconds unless
there is a problem. Its the "mythfilldatabase" that takes a loooong
time to run.

After you have your source setup and retrieved the line up, have you tried
scanning for channels??

>>> 3.  I did setup my PVR-500 as 2 cards, /dev/video0 tuner0 & /dev/video1
>>> tuner0, and associate my "Comcast Cable" source to each.  But when I go
>>> to Watch Live TV, I get a black screen.  I know I'm not locked up
>>> because I can Crtl+Alt+F1-F6 to get to other tty's.  But to get that
>>> session (tty7) back I must reboot.  What am I doing wrong here?  Is
>>> there a log I can check?

I think once you get the line up/listing setup properly, your tuner will start
working....