AW: [mythtv-users] Archiving Shows to DVD

Martin Bene martin.bene at icomedias.com
Sat Aug 13 21:49:39 UTC 2005

Hi Paul,

>>> Nice to see someone working on the mythburn scripts again.
>>> I've been having a play with them myself recently. One of the
>>> problems with the scripts at the moment is they where
>>> written for use on knoppmyth and contain several hard coded
>>> references to file paths etc. It would be nice to see some
>>> sort of configuration file where you could set the location
>>> of the scripts, where to create and store temporary files,
>>> what the mysql user and password should be etc. to
>>> make them work on any distribution.

You asked for it, you got it:

Another update for the mythburn scripts, no new features this time but
major rewrite of configuration.

* No more hardcoded paths
* new installer
* cleaned up requirements for access rights: all write access either to
temp dir or to config dir.
* single config file with settings for directory locations, database
etc.

The update is available either as a patch against current mythburn CVS
or as a complete tarball (content equals cvs+patch).

http://mabene.icomedias.com/mythburn/cut-0.5.diff is the diff, apply
with patch -p1 -E (a couple of files get removed).

Full tarball at http://mabene.icomedias.com/mythburn/mythburn.tar.gz

* put the mythburn stuff in a sensible place; /usr/share/mythburn might
be a good choice.
* cd /usr/share/mythburn
* ./install.sh

The installation script prompts you for
 - tv dir (where the recordings are stored)
 - directory where mythtv fonts live
 - directory to put temp files (will be created)
 - place to put DVD file structure (will be created)
 - user the webserver runs as
 - group the webserver runs as
 - directory where MythWeb is installed
 - host the mysql database is running on
 - name of mysql database
 - username for accessing database
 - password for accessing database

All config settings have defaults that match KnopMyth setup. Most
settings are checked so it's not easy to enter invalid settins that
could lead to problems later on.

The installation script sets file and directoy owner and access rights,
writes a config file, creates symlinks in the Mythweb directory and
patches the "burn dvd" link into mythburn.

If all required packages are installed, you're ready to go.

This should work regardless of your installation; I wrote the scripts on
gentoo and did some minimal testing on Knopmyth.

Let me know why it doesn't work for you and how I broke your system :-)

Bye, Martin