[mythtv-users] Pentium M processor caveats?

Jo Shields directhex at apebox.org
Sat Aug 13 12:17:57 UTC 2005

Paul Andreassen wrote:

>Hi all and sundry,
>
>I'm thinking of using a Pentium M processor but would like some user
>experiences with this processor.
>
>Is it worth the money?
>
>Advantages?
>
>Linux kernel support?
>
>Thanks,
>Paul

Worth the money? That's down to personal opinion. It's VERY fast, for
negligable power/heat, but is DOES cost a lot. AMD64 is better
bang-per-buck, but Pentium-M wins hands down if you want bangs-per-Watt,
and the associated cooling-noise benefits.

My Pentium-M system's fans stay off most of the time, as they're
considered unneccessary by the motherboard. That's really the biggest
benefit. You _CAN_, if you really want to, run the system without any
heatsink at all, and certainly a large heatsink with no fan is no problem.

Kernel support is, well, MOSTLY fine. There's a big gap in terms of CPU
frequency scaling on modern (Dothan) chips, which is fixed by a patch
found in Ubuntu - use THIS patch:
http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=601. _VERY_ recent
kernels have broken support for Dothan, so you may need to patch against
an old speedstep-centrino.c, or manually clean up the broken crap in
upstream's file.

--Jo Shields