[mythtv-users] Re: Bad tuning & wrong channels | knoppmyth & Hauppage 350

Matthew Dunne mjd2112 at columbia.edu
Fri Aug 12 20:37:59 UTC 2005

Hey All,
Last week, I wrote:

> I'm in the last stages of setting up a knopp-myth combined
> frontend-backend. My problem: when I watch live TV, or record
> programs, I get the wrong channel. Sometimes the picture is clear,
> sometimes it looks like it's not tuned in. In all cases, it will be,
> say, Fox news when mythtv shows the program guide info and channel
> number for, say, NBC.
>
> I'm using:
> knoppmyth 5A16
> which installed mythtv 18.1
>
> Hauppage 350 for both tuning and tvout
>
> coaxial cable in, composite video out
>
> I live in Brooklyn, USA.
> Time Warner analog Cable service
> Zap2it channel listings
>
> I'm sure I haven't provided enough information for anyone to help yet,
> so please let me know what else would be helpful in diagnosing the
> problem.
>
> Thanks much.
> -Matthew
>

> ------------------------------

Nobody responded (I guess it's an easy or boring problem). I'm still
having the same problems. It now seems likely to me that it stems from
the tuner card rather than myth. I've tried the following to no avail:

* Search ivtv archives

* Change frequency table in myth setup (I live in Brooklyn, NY with
cable: I tried us-cable, us-broadcast, us-cable-hrc, and, just for good
luck, a couple of other countries. I got either the same problems or
just static)

* I can manually tune the channels in myth setup, but it seems likely
that this shouldn't be necessary and would take forever to do each one.

* Looked into upgrading ivtv driver, but found I'm using 0.20 already
(installed with knoppmyth)

I've noticed something of a pattern in most, but not all channels: they
are 10 channels too high (or too low, depending on you reference point).
That is, mythtv shows the channel data for channel 22, and the picture
that actually shows is for channel 12. Again, this is not totally
consistent.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

-Matthew