[mythtv-users] Cables and more space...ideas?

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 16:29:20 UTC 2005

On 8/12/05, Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> wrote:
> PAUL WILLIAMSON wrote:
<snip />
> >2.  DVDs on Myth.  I have ripped quite a few (about 40%)
> >of our collection to Myth, but I've run out of space and
> >need to figure out what my next step is.
> >
> >My wife thought buying a DVD player for every room where
> >we now have a TV is a good idea.  To say that I hate that
> >idea is being gentle.  I could probably buy enough disks to
> >house the rest of the collection, but I have no more physical
> >space in my backend(s), and don't have another computer to
> >nfsmount more drives from either.
> >

> Take the money you would spend on multiple DVD players and buy a huge
> hard disk + external firewire enclosure + firewire card (if you need
> it).  You can add as many of these as you need to increase your capacity
> and performance should be excellent.  You can get a 200GB EIDE drive now
> for about $70 without any rebates and maybe cheaper with, and that would
> hold a good amount of ripped DVDs.

another option would be to use a NAS type system.  linksys has a
couple of these that are basically mini linux file servers.  [1] for
~$80 you can get the appliance and hook USB2.0 drives to it for
storage.  USB2.0 should provide enough bandwidth for multiple streams
off this device.  you can also get hacked versions of linux for this
device to give you a more full featured version of linux.  this will
most likely be the solution i go with once i have the available
funding and go ahead from my appropriations dept (i.e. wife).

1) http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US%2FLayout&packedargs=c%3DL_Product_C1%26cid%3D1118334686923&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper