AW: [mythtv-users] Archiving Shows to DVD

Martin Bene martin.bene at icomedias.com
Fri Aug 12 15:16:59 UTC 2005

> I have been using this version with the patch successfully. The one
> feature that would be nice is to look at the total time of
> the selected shows and if > DVD length (4gig?) transcode them using
> a different bitrate to make the shows fit on one DVD.

A basic calculation of required disk space is already done by the script
that does the actual data processing; currently it doesn't do more than
just print a warning. To actually get that estimate right needs to take
more into account than is currently done
 - size of the menus generated (depends mostly on #of titles and on
animated menus on or off)
 - amount of stuff removed by commercial cutting.

ProjectX is mainly a demultiplexer with cutting capabilities thrown in.
So workflow would be
1) demux/cut using projectx
2) recode the seperated video and/or audio streams using something else
(tcrequant?, ffmpeg?)
3) remux with empty vobus thrown in, I'll probably stick with mplex.

I don't want to skip the projectx demux step even though there are
products taht wold let me do cut+recode in one step: This step is where
cleanup of mpeg problems and audio sync issues happens; running
avidemux2 on the raw recordings got me quite a few problems with sync
and bad files. Possibly even wors with PVRxx recordings.

> ...the web for calculating the bitrate to make them fit on one disk,
but
> I'm not sure if ProjectX can be used to reduce the bitrate or
> if it will take another step somewhere.

Shouldn't be too hard, I'll just have to experiment a bit to see which
process gives reasonable results and where to draw the line on what the
limits of compression/reencoding are.

Bye, Martin