[mythtv-users] IR hardware recognition / rtc

Marius Schrecker masch at tiscali.no
Fri Aug 12 13:32:20 UTC 2005

>>...I need to find out what ir hardware I have and make sure I have
>>a module for it. This is tricky as I can't see anything in dmesg or lspci
>>to help me identify it. It's a built in ir receive
>> on the front of my biostar
>>ideq 330p (nforce4)...any ideas as to what it might be/how to identify
it??

>According to Biostar's web site, this is an IrDA receiver. IrDA
>devices do not use the same type of LED as most IR remote controls.
>Due to
>ts fundamental frequency, IrDA is useless at anything over
>about 3 feet distance. Its primary use is for syncing portable
>devices (PDAs, laptops, etc.) with the main computer. For this
>particular purpose, the 3-foot restriction isn't a bad one.

>Basically, you'll need to get some sort of additional hardware to
>support "regular" IR reception. At least you can probably take out
>the Biostar's IrDA receiver and put the other receiver in its place,
>inside the case.

been out looking for usb ir dongles, but so far the only one I've found
is another IrDA device. haven't checked whether it's supported either. Can
anyone recommend a good/cheap/2.6.x-supported remote receiver (preferably
usb), or a good howto to build one?... Ideally the receiver should be closer
to the tv than my computer (which will hide in the corner).

Cheers

Marius
Registered Linux user