[mythtv-users] Epia Compile Fails in 'make modules_install'

R. Geoffrey Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Aug 11 23:28:31 UTC 2005

Help from a linux guru please...

I'm tyring to build a 2.6.12.3-epia kernal for an SP13000 motherboard.
Well, yes it is tiring because I and still trying...

I downloaded the kernel source.  I crossed my fingers and applied the epia
patch as described in the epia howto (epialinux.org). YES!

I downloaded the example .config and ran make oldconfig.
I think I answered all the questions properly...sometimes it was not clear
if 'M' 'n' or 'y' was required or what was desirable. In case of doubt I
selected the default. No errors reported...

"Make" ran without error. (Cheering and hooting ensued...!)

"Make modules_install" failed with an error. Since I'm not on that machine
I cannot post it in full, but the line is an if statement  and runs depmod
against (in this case) an object file in the sound/oss group. That file
exists. But the error is 'No such file or directory'
The end of the line, which appears to point to the object (destination) of
the command however points to:

"2.6.12.3-epiay".

Of course *that * directory does not exists. I suspect that the trailing
'y' could be a typo in a script. So:

What script does 'make' run when it runs a 'modules_install'?  Or could
there be some other reason why this program crashes in the middle of a
long list of source objects which are being compiled....?

Geoff
R. Geoffrey Newbury                          newbury at mandamus.org
Barrister and Solicitor                         Telephone: 905-271-9600
Mississauga,Ontario, Canada              Facsimile:   905-271-1638