[mythtv-users] How to use ivtv raw YUV framebuffer?

zoiks2004-ivtv at yahoo.com zoiks2004-ivtv at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 10 22:11:51 UTC 2005

I'm not sure if this belongs in mythtv-users or ivtv
mailing lists, but in any case here's the question:

How can I use the raw frame capture function of my
PVR-350 within myth?

This is what I've done:

1) Changed the ivtv module loading to add the option
"yuv_fixup=1".  Apparently, this is needed by ivtv to
convert some wierd yuv format to standard yuv format.
2) Tried dd'ing data from /dev/video32 and
/dev/video24.  video32 is supposed to contain raw yuv
data and video24 is supposed to have raw pcm audio
data.  Each one reads just fine, I get like 10
megabytes/s on video32 and around 160 kilobytes/s on
video24.  Seems about right to me.
3) I went into mythtv-setup and killed the PVR250/350
capture card, and added another, a software V4L
capture card.  I set the video device to /dev/video32
and the audio device to /dev/video24.  I made sure my
input connection showed V4L card SVideo 0 (the same
input I use with the encoder) -> Comcast (my
provider).
4) I started mythtv and setup my recording profile for
the software encoder (hardware encoder entry was gone)
for mpeg4 encoding, otherwise using the default
options.

Now, when I try to play TV, myth hangs with lots of
error messages.  A lot of "using protocol 15"
interspersed with something like "couldn't set audio
block size" or "couldn't set audio sampling".  Also
some "couldn't read ringbuf.nuv" or some such.  I
don't have the log files with me right now, but
hopefully, if this is enough information, could
someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?  I'd like to
attempt direct frame capture encoding to mpeg4 using
my PVR-350 card.

My system:
SuSE 9.2-based box with kernel 2.6.8
ivtv-0.3.7b