[mythtv-users] Controlling mythtv from a web browser

Rob Willett rob.mythtv at robertwillett.com
Wed Aug 10 16:49:01 UTC 2005

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody has actually managed to control mythtv from a web
browser. I know you can schedule recordings and all that good stuff using
Mythweb, but I was wondering if you can use a browser to change channels, start
and end recordings etc etc.

If you could do use a browser then you could use a cheapo colour wireless PDA
rather than an expensive colour iPronto. This has all sort's of nice features
that even expensive remote controls can't match. It's easy enough to knock up a
web site, a PHP/Mythtv interface would be very interesting though.

This would allow you to choose music through the PDA rather than the screen,
which free's you from having to be in the right position in the room.
Information on music choice could be sent back to the PDA rather than to the TV.

I've googled for a large number of options on this and failed to find anything,
so figure I'm not using the right search options.

I suppose what I want is a nice API to mythtv that I can use. This API should
return information as well, so that rules out a hack to LIRC.

Any suggestions welcomed,

rob.