[mythtv-users] OT: Comcast Chicago changing channel lineup, SCI-FI moving to digital only

Gavin Haslett gavin at nodecaf.net
Tue Aug 9 19:53:14 UTC 2005

Solution as I mentioned earlier is to use a monster backend with
all the PVR cards and boxes attached, then build out mini frontends
to attach to your other TV's. Off two inputs I could realistically
run three TV's or more because chances are only two of them would
be running Live TV. Then you can also share recordings, shared music
files on a single monster server and so on.

I already run three frontends with one backend and *ONE* PVR and
associated box. I can do this because generally one is used for
viewing recordings and/or videos... and when it's used for Live
TV it's only because my wife and I have already gone to bed and
feel like chilling in front of Live TV. Typically we don't watch
Live TV any more though... we've become so used to not having to
worry about commercials that we just avoid them where possible
now. Only the kids watch Live TV any more, and that's kids programs
that we don't record; our stuff is typically recorded during late
night re-runs (most networks do that these days) and we never
actually watch them "Live". Hell, last night we went to bed early
and watched last week's Battlestar Galactica upstairs because we
hadn't had the time to watch it yet. Having kids and a busy social
life does that to you... we rarely watch TV any more "live".