[mythtv-users] OT: Comcast Chicago changing channel lineup, SCI-FI moving to digital only

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Tue Aug 9 18:15:13 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 13:51 -0400, Scot L. Harris wrote:

> Still have that channel here.

Wow.  Cableco lied to me.  Imagine my surprise.

> Currently I have the cable going direct to the PVR-350 and PVR-250.

Yup.

> assumed this was the basic analog service.

Analog service anyway.  Not sure about the adjectives.

> If/when they go full digital
> which cards can be used?

None.  Welcome to America.

> Or do we have to play games with IR blasters
> to switch channels on the cable box?

Yup.

> Would not be good having to have a
> separate cable box for each encoder.

Yup.  Sounds like the cableco has a cash crop side business in selling
marked up cable boxes huh?  And since every cableco is using some
different technology, it's not like 20 years ago when you needed a
"standard" cable box just to get more channels and we just had to wait
for TVs to have the cable box integrated into it.  How many TV
manufacturers do you think are going to put 17 different digital tuners
in their TVs.

It's not like standards don't exist though.  DVB for one.  American
cablecos just want to lock you into their service by making you have to
"throw away" a large investment in hardware to change providers.
Apparently Europeans didn't stand for that and now they have DVB (for
satellite at least anyway) and can buy their tuners anywhere they want
(and with one standard, TV makers will have one thing they can integrate
into the TV).

b.