[mythtv-users] PVR 350, closed captioning, commercial detection

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Mon Aug 8 20:09:37 UTC 2005

On Mon, Aug 08, 2005 at 01:46:20PM -0400, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> This is in 18?  That is very neat.  Does this increase the overall load
> on the CPU?  I know the current process pegs the CPU during the 10 or 12
> minutes it takes to flag an hour show on my system.

During the recording phase the detection process is limited by the
capture stream.  If your box is able to detect commercials in
faster-than-real-time then CPU load will not be a problem while the
recording is in progress (assuming you are using a hardware encoder).
Once the recording finishes the CPU load jumps significantly for the
last few minutes.