[mythtv-users] Scientific Atlanta 3250 HD STB

Brian Meehan emt244671 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 18:37:32 UTC 2005

A TW rep came over to my house to "investigate" my 3250's inability to
record anything but a few HD channels. The reps on the phone were
pretty clueless, and previous techs were also unhelpful. Since I was
home sick and didn't have anything better to do, I told them to go
ahead and send another person. I've been paying for HBO and can't
record it at all.

The tech that came over had only 2 other firewire installs under his
belt, and both of them were directly to TVs, and he'd also worked once
with a customer who had a digital cable card. He seemed genuinely
interested in the MythTV setup, so I explained it to him and ran the
test capture scripts. After a while, he understood that I was having a
problem. He patiently waited for me to test the channels, reboot the
box (3250), etc.

Then he got on the phone with his supervisor and was told to log into
the TW training website to read their information on the firewire
regulations and FCC compliance. He let me read it too (since he used
my laptop to check it). I of course made a copy of the text. Here it
is, pasted below. Pay special attention to section e.

My follow up with them is to make a list of every TW Rochester I can
successfully capture and then swap the box out and compare.

This is what I can record now (test captures > 10 sec)
0009    WGRC RNews
0110    RNews Weather Now
1010 	NBC HD
1011 	WXXI HD
1013 	WHAM (Ch 13) Rochester ABC
1014 	iNHD1
1015 	iNHD2
1016 	WB16HD
1030 	Discovery HD Theater
1033 	TNT HD

                       HD CONVERTER WITH A 1394 PORT

Due to a FCC requirement, cable companies are now required to provide
to customers, upon request only, a HD converter with a 1394 port that
allows the customer to connect to either a display device (TV) or
record high-def programming into another recording device (VCR, DVD,
etc.) for the purpose of archiving programming.  Please carefully
review the information on the following pages, as all CCP�s must be
prepared to answer customer inquiries.

The following are key points.  More detailed information follows.

�        As stated previously, this converter allows recording of
high-def programs into a VCR or DVD with the playback also in high-def
resolution.

�        Customers must specifically ask for it, we are not required
to tell customers that this option is available.

�        We do not anticipate a high volume of requests.

�        There are several technical limitations with customers using
the 1394 interface:

a.      Customers will not be able to access the Interactive Program
Guide (IPG), any On Demand channel (Free, POD, MOD, AOD, etc.) or PPV
services.

b.     The 1394 interface is strictly a digital link, thus customers
will not have access to any channels on the analog tier, Basic &
Standard.  If a customer�s HDTV has an analog/digital switch, they can
view the analog channels.  This requires component or composite analog
connects.

c.     HDTV sets will not display SA formatted Emergency Alert (EAS)
messages over the 1394 interface.  In addition, there are a number of
HDTV television sets that do not support the capability of switching
automatically to analog inputs to display the EAS message.  Such sets
are not compliant and will not receive content over the 1394
interface.  This is a requirement so the customer will not receive the
converter.

d.     DVR service is also not available with the 1394.  Those
customers that are currently part of the HD-DVR trial would lose the
DVR service.

e.      The 1394 will be set to the following copy control (recording) settings:

�        On Demand (Free, POD, MOD, AOD, etc.) � Copy Never.

�        PPV � Copy never.

�        Broadcast cable channels (Premiums, Basic & Standard) � Copy once.

�        Over-the-air, unencrypted content (locals) � Copy freely.

�        Only certain HD sets are compatible with the 1394.  While
some information is available via the Internet, CCP�s should not
attempt to verify compatibility.  A technician will confirm this
during the field visit.

�        Customers must provide their own Fire Wire cable.

�        A truck roll (field visit) must be scheduled for all orders.
Customers do not have the option to pick up the equipment at a cable
store location.  We also will not mail the equipment to a customer.

�        For upgrades: Use OT (points) category 817 & equipment
category 795.  Please make sure to comment the work order that the
customer has requested the HD 1394.  For all other orders (installs),
key regular OT (points) category & equipment category 795.  Again,
please comment the work order.

�        Technicians will leave a flyer with the customer.  The flyer
reminds customers not to change any of the box-to-device connections
once they are in place as well as a statement explaining non-capable
HDTV televisions.  See attached flyer.

�        On the equipment (EQ) screen, the 1394 will be identified by
the item number SHD3294.

�        The Technical Training tab on the Infonet will eventually
have information available.

�        Again, we do not anticipate a high volume of calls.

Customer Flyer:

ATTENTION CUSTOMERS:

High-Definition television sets must be capable of switching to analog
inputs to display Emergency Alert Signals, which is a FCC requirement.

If your HD television does not have this

capability, installer cannot install a new

 HD 1394 set top.  Please contact the FCC at

(1-888-225-5322) with any issues you may have with regards to this requirement.

CAUTION!!

Do not change, remove or otherwise modify the connections between your
television set and the Time Warner Cable set top box.  Doing so may
cause you to lose access to services and programming from Time Warner
Cable.  Please call your customer service center for further
information and assistance.

Additional Information: