[mythtv-users] Archiving Shows to DVD

Jim Reith reith at racores.com
Sun Aug 7 23:57:32 UTC 2005

>Felix wrote:
>>Dave Ansell wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>      My Myth box seems to have achieved a high Child Acceptance
>>>Factor (WAF not quite so good!) but unfortunately my disk is now
>>>filling up rapidly with cartoon shows which need to be watched
>>>repeatedly and never deleted!
>>>
>>>      Is there a straightforward way to transfer shows to DVD in a
>>>sensible format for viewing on DVD players, etc.    My recordings
>>>are from DVB-T in TS format.  I have tried transcode, but it fails
>>>to run with the out-of-the box Myth settings (Myth 0.18.1 atrpms)
>>>

>>>   Any pointers much appreciated.   And by the way I am a complete
>>>newbie when it comes to DVD authoring.!
>>>
>>>cheers,
>>>Dave
>>

>>I tried three options and all three failed in one way or another
>>:-( . I'll try to describe them here, and if somebody notices some
>>glarious goofs (or not so glarious) - I would greatly appreciate
>>the feedback. I am fairly new to DVD authoring, and to MythTV, and
>>I *have* to burn the shows on DVD for my reputation to survive...
>>
>>1. mythburn. I got quite far with this... I downloaded from
>>sourceforge <http://sourceforge.net/projects/mythburn/>
>>(http://sourceforge.net/projects/mythburn/), tinkered with
>>install.sh (changed directories and user/group names) and
>>successfully ran it:
>>MythWeb is installed at /var/www/html/mythweb
>>Installing DVD Menu option into MythWeb
>>However, there is no DVD menu option - there are *no* options under
>>MythWeb. I restarted backend, just in case - is there any last
>>steps to configure mythweb to enable this option?

I managed to get the button to show but when I run it it complains
during the framegrabbing that it can't get frame 6. I've seen
reference to that but no solutions

>>2. nuvexport - I got RPM from here
>><http://forevermore.net/files/nuvexport/>
>>(http://forevermore.net/files/nuvexport/). It requires LVE library
>>which I got from sourceforge. But LVE doesn't compile

Again, under Knoppmyth this is installed but when I select Create DVD
it complains that the current screen is too small and to run it at
800x600 (my display is an NTSC tv)

>>3. Instructions from mythtv docs
>><http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-22.html#ss22.20>
>>(http://mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-22.html#ss22.20): Step 2 says
>>Run *avidemux2* and open the .nuv file which corresponds with the
>>program you wish to burn to DVD.
>>when I do that, avidemux2 tells me that "This looks like mpeg. Do
>>you want to index it?". Sure... When I click on "Scan file for
>>audio stream", it finds Mpeg audio 0: 2 channels, 384 kbps shift
>>66s. So, indexing goes for couple minutes, and then it tells
>>"Beware: No valid audio codec found! Save(A+V) will generate bad
>>AVI. Save audio will work". Not only that, but the picture becomes
>>square (say, 4x4 instead of 4x3) and all objects deformed.

And on this front I just drag the NUV over to my Mac and process it
there but since I have a slow mac, this takes quite a bit of
processing. I'd rather do it all on the Myth box. preferably with
some working background script fired off from a selection like
MythBurn.