[mythtv-users] Which remote?

mythtv at sci.fi mythtv at sci.fi
Sun Aug 7 01:29:00 UTC 2005

> --- Howard Cokl <hojoloco at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > --- mythtv at sci.fi wrote:
> >
> > > I've been thinking about a PDA turned into a RC,
> > > since it can be used a
> > > bit more diversly. Problem is that I don't know
> > how
> > > well "good" it is as
> > > an RC, never tried, I mean how good the feel, etc
> > > is. The funny thing
> > > about RC's is that an RC is a lot harder to make
> > > than it seems, it
> > > really needs thought if you want it to be good,
> > and
> > > I'm annoyed by every
> > > product giving their own RC, instead the price
> > could
> > > be dropped, and
> > > with the saved money everybody could buy one good
> > > RC, instead of all
> > > these crappy RC's I have my home full of ;-)
> > >
> > > But does anybody have experience with PDA's as an
> > RC
> > > ?
> >
> > I found something about this a while ago, even found
> > springboard module for a visor but ended up blowing
> > it
> > off since I have a wireless keyboard and a learning
> > remote.  I figured it would be cool but the WAF
> > would
> > be low and I'm still struggling with the WAF.  If I
> > find the links I was looking at I'll let you know.
> >
> > Howard
>
> Followup:
>
> Here is the link to the springboard module
>
> http://www.pacificneotek.com/
>
> Howard

Hmm, well with me part of the point for PDA would also be to use it on
the road, all sort of useful info easily accessible. And now that I
think of it, I could probably just use a web page as the RC software,
and a WLAN as the information path, instead of IR, plus it would work
anywhere in the apartment ;-) No pointing ever again... The link seems
to be to a commercial RC product, I'd guess there would be opensource
alternatives, since in most software categories opensource is better
now-a-days.

Sorry about the WAF :-| but you should always make them see why it's
good for them, make them ask for it ;-) Don't pitch it as your own idea,
set the seed in their mind and steer them in the right direction, so
they ask for a hyper-super-duper hometheater with all the good stuff...

Does anybody have actual experience using PDA's as an RC ? As an idea it
sounds great, but how does it work in practice ?