[mythtv-users] Mythtv backend not starting

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Sat Aug 6 13:33:55 UTC 2005

On Sat, Aug 06, 2005 at 12:09:44PM +0100, Jo Shields wrote:
> Here's a test: SSH in from a different machine, and try to start
> mythbackend. That one used to work for me, for whatever reason.

You get a different operating environment when you launch from the CLI
as opposed to a cron job or init script.  If something works from the
CLI then the problem is often missing or mangled configuration
variables in the cron/init environment.  The other difference is that
cron or init may be using a different CWD and the program could be
looking for config data using a relative path.  For example, on my
Debian system I couldn't get one of the Myth components to work (can't
remember which one right now) unless I created a /.qt directory and
made it writable by user mythtv.  I assume the application is trying to
cd to ${SOMEVAR}/.qt and since SOMEVAR isn't defined it ends up in the
root.

> My solution to the problem (NO promises!) was to edit /etc/hosts, and
> remove "localhost.localdomain" - the BindAddress specified by MySQL
> seems to RDNS to localhost.localdomain, so authentication fails (because
> you try to connect to localhost, but only localhost.localdomain is
> allowed). It fixed it for me, ugly as it may be.

You may be on to something there.  Mysql will run through the entire
access list until it finds a line that matches the connection attempt.
Although I modified my /etc/hosts file a long time ago for other
reasons, I also manually changed the mysql access list in order to
support an external front end machine.  In doing so, I specified the
access using just the mysql user and password without including a
network address or domain name.