[mythtv-users] Managing DVD's in Linux

flim flim at talktalk.net
Sat Aug 6 15:05:28 UTC 2005

I suppose it depends on exactly what you want to do...

If you just want to take your rented/bought/borrowed DVD and have a copy
to play when you want - take a perfect rip, transcode it to your favourite
format and burn it to a CD (most movies will transcode down to less than
700MB without significant loss of quality).  Then you can play it on your
standard DVD-player or on your PC.  Alternatively, you can stick half a
dozen on a single layer DVD or 10+ on a dual layer disc.

If you want to make copies to lend to your friends, you can't be sure the
above will work for them.  I'm afraid I'll be no help to you on that front.

HTH

flim