[mythtv-users] Operating System of choice ?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Aug 5 22:15:53 UTC 2005

Jarod Wilson.  http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/

> at least what I've read the archives of this mailing list, quite many
> are using Fedora Core, so is there a reason for that ? Also has
> anybody used MythTV on OpenBSD ?

You can't do the backend on BSD.  You need Video4Linux support (which,
as the name implies, is lacking from BSD).  There has been some work on
getting the frontend ported to BSD, but I don't know how far it has
gone.  Search the archives for more details (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/ ).

> I'm a big fan of OpenBSD, for it's stability as well as it's security.
> So if there's no big/real drawbacks I would prefer OpenBSD for both
> the back- and frontend,

Definitely a drawback for the backend.

> although I have an itch that Fedora Core would be "better" suited for
> the job.

Definitely.  There's a lot to learn with Myth.  The best way to learn it
is from a "seasoned professional" like Jarod.  Once you've gotten Myth
up and running and played with it for a while--during which time you've
had a chance to learn about it--you might decide you want to blaze some
new trails and take Myth where no Myth has gone before (BSD or
whatever).  But, trying to do it all now--before you learned Myth--is
not the preferred solution.

> Also does anybody know if there's any gain from using 64-bit CPU ?

Yeah.  You gain the ability to learn about a whole new set of problems
from the ones you're used to seeing on 32-bit (i.e. some plugins won't
yet compile, lack of MMX support in some areas of code, etc.).
Basically, you get to live on the edge.  (Once again, I recommend
getting it up and running first before trying to blaze new trails.)

However, AMD64 chips running in 32-bit mode are very nice chips that
provide a lot of CPU cycles for transcoding, commercial flagging, etc.

> Thanks all, you'll probably see a lot more questions from me, since I
> decided to do this "right", and ask questions first and shoot then ;-)

Good luck,
Mike