[mythtv-users] DVD to AVI vs NUV

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 5 21:13:32 UTC 2005

Your transcodes will only look as good as the source
data you're transcoding.  Garbage in = Garbage out.

DVDs are very high bitrate (I've heard of them being
up to 9Mb/s), but the important thing is that the
source input is usually very clean, is 720x480 (or
720x576 for PAL), and most importantly, digital (which
means no resampling to analog).

The streams that you record on your TV though
(assuming an analog connection, since that's what the
PVR-x50 cards take) aren't so great.  First, they've
likely been downsampled in resolution (they were
mucked with to get the VBI and Closed Captioning
information in there).  Then, there's the potential
for signal/data loss as the signal comes down the wire
(and splitters cause signal loss too).  So, by the
time the signal comes to your TV, it might be crap,
just that you might not notice it so much on the TV.

Then, the PVR-x50 card will take that analog stream,
and convert it into a digital MPEG-2 stream.  The
720x480 resolution that you record at isn't
necessarily true 720x480 - sure the output file is
that size, but the input data (the signal on the TV)
might not be.

Probably not the best explanation, but I hope that it
helps you out.

-- Joe