[mythtv-users] DVD to AVI vs NUV

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 20:07:51 UTC 2005

It seems like every time I feel like I get a good grasp on how the bitrates
and resolutions and codecs play together something comes up that confuses
me. Like just about everyone, I'm trying to get the best quality for the
least space, and I thought I was doing alright. My WAF doesn't tolerate
graininess very well, and blockiness is a killer. I have a PVR150 that I
record at 352x480 3500/ 720x480 5000/ 720x480 6000 by quality level. The HQ
ones I leave alone, but the low quality ones I autotranscode to mpeg4 at
352x480 2200 with the four high quality options turned on. This seems to
give good quality, with a half hour show coming in at around 700MB.

Last night though, I ripped a few dvd's to take with me on a trip this
weekend, and I realized that I was ripping a full 140 minute DVD to about
1GB with perfectly good quality, at only around 1000 bps VBR. If I tried to
transcode my shows at that, they'd look terrible. I'm sure I'm missing a
basic principle somewhere, but I can't figure out what it is. I would think
changing the format would have something to do with it, from mpeg2 to mpeg4,
but wouldn't that apply to the dvd as well? Double pass encoding might be
part of the answer as well (I don't think myth can do that, can it?)

Can someone explain this effect to me?

Thanks,
-- Ryan