[mythtv-users] CD Copy protection?

Richard Bronosky mythtv at bronosky.com
Fri Aug 5 19:35:15 UTC 2005

Ryan Steffes wrote:

> The trick of the whole situation is that the only protections that
> even kinda work are the ones that use bad data.  However, it can't be
> TOO bad or you wouldn't be able to play it at all, and the amount of
> peopel who watch movies/listen to music on their computers is too
> large a segment to ignore.
>
> I recently got a copy of Hitch to take with me on vacation.  My plan
> was to rip to my external drive, with some other movies, and stick it
> in a bag.  We can watch it on a laptop when we get there, or pipe it
> through the laptop to composite-in on the TV.  However, the copy I got
> was a used movie rental and has that Sony protection with the bad
> sectors.  Mythtv, dvd::rip, and mencoder all freaked trying to rip
> it.  Maybe there's a way around it with those, but I don't know.
>
> What I do know is that mplayer didn't care as much about making the
> file a perfect rip and played it just fine.  Once I realized that, it
> didn't take me long to do the math and just play it to a file through
> mplayer and create my own nice little vob.  Even the best CD copy
> protection isn't going to stop people from connecting line-out to
> line-in -- old school tape recorder style.
>
> Ditto for DVDs, it's not that hard to play your DVD out to PVR in.
> Standard formats just can't be protected too much or they become
> useless, and you aren't going to sell a new standard to people who are
> very happy with the old standard.  No one is going to be able to force
> everyone to change their TV, stereo equipment, computer hardware, car
> stereo, radios, boomboxes, dvd players, VHS players, and put special
> DRM chips in everything, including ALL speakers and microphones and
> video cameras.  That's what you'd have to do to keep any copies from
> being made ever.
>
> No law can protect a bad business model forever.

HDMI...  all future video out will be similar to it.  Shortly after
HD-DVD is defacto, DVDs will no longer be made.  All HD-DVD players will
only output over a protected method...  Analog cable too will disappear
and all the new cable and satellite receivers will also use protected
outputs...  Then this mailing list will be discussions about the kinds
of file servers, gaming boxes and home automation/video surveillance
machines that people are converting their PVRs into.

It's sad, but it is coming.  Pessimistic?  No, informed.

	Thank you for your time,
	--==<< R i c h a r d   B r o n o s k y >>==--

Nearly all viruses and spyware are designed to use Microsoft internet products.  Protect yourself by avoiding Internet Explorer & Outlook/Outlook Express.