[mythtv-users] CD Copy protection?

Richard Bronosky mythtv at bronosky.com
Fri Aug 5 17:01:35 UTC 2005

Jim Reith wrote:

> At 11:43 AM 8/5/2005, you wrote:
>
>> Jim Reith wrote:

>>> i don't see a philosophical issue if you own the CD and are ripping
>>> it for
>>> personal use. If they infringe on your personal use, that's a problem.
>>>
>>> And I find the technical description of only allowing it to be ripped a
>>> fixed number of times silly. If it's a read only media, how  can they
>>> enforce that. Just go to another untainted machine (I'm assuming the
>>> rip
>>> count is a cookie somewhere)
>>

>> There isn't valid red-book CD Audio on the disc. What is stored there
>> may
>> or may not work with standards-compliant CD players, though generally
>> not
>> anything that moves such as a car or, portable player.
>

> Since I primarily listen to CDs in my car for my hour+ commute, that's a
> deal breaker for me and back it goes
>
>> The rip restrictions rely on a unique ID written to some sectors of the
>> disc. When you try to rip with Windows Media Player (other rippers are
>> liable to choke on the non-CD data), your ID is verified against a
>> database, to see whether you have permission to rip. If not, tough luck.
>> If so, you rip to protected WMA files which include your ID number, and
>> perform lookups against Microsoft's databases per-play.
>>
>> Results: If your computer's ID number changes (e.g. you reformat
>> Windows),
>> all your music is rendered useless, unless the per-disc restrictions
>> allow
>> you to re-acquire a license to your files. If your disk crashes, you
>> need
>> to re-rip your music, ticking down your counter.
>

> So I'd have to buy a windows machine to enjoy it? fat chance
>
>> Again, in many cases (especially with Linux, or by employing a
>> felt-tipped
>> pen) you can bypass the copy protection mechanisms. Should you need to?
>> Should you encourage their use by buying the technology and calling
>> it good?
>

> Nope. but then I guess I'm not part of that 90% windows users in the
> database. And I DO make throw away copies of CDs I buy before leaving
> them
> (the throw aways) to bake in my car. Likewise I have a friend with small
> children that does the same things with DVDs his kids watch so he can
> always remaster one that has been abused by small hands.
>
>> --Jo Shields

DVD's were intentionally made to be fragile so that they would easily be
destroyed by "small hands".  This is not (in the view of the media
houses) a legitimate reason to duplicate a DVD.  The original DVD-RAMs
had a hard plastic protective shell, much like the Sony MiniDisc.  But
the Movie industry lobbied for the existing format.  They want you to
have to buy 5 copies of "Finding Nemo" because your 2 year old keeps
destroying it, and then throws tantrums because they can't watch it.
That's also why they lobbied for the DMCA.

--
Thank you for your time,
--==<< R i c h a r d   B r o n o s k y >>==--

*Nearly all viruses and spyware are designed to use Microsoft internet
products. Protect yourself by avoiding Internet Explorer &
Outlook/Outlook Express.*