[mythtv-users] CD Copy protection?

Jo Shields directhex at apebox.org
Fri Aug 5 13:52:56 UTC 2005

Greg Cope wrote:

>or buy it and return it as faulty - not sure where you live, but in
>the uk if you are sold a CD it should work as such (like in a car or
>computer).
>
>Returning it should show the retailer that these are not worth it.
>
>Greg
>
>On 05/08/05, Jo Shields <directhex at apebox.org> wrote:
>

>>Brian C. Huffman wrote:
>>

>>>This doesn't look good for those of us that legitimately buy CDs, but then would
>>>rather rip them to mythmusic and keep the library there...
>>>
>>>http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050804/tc_nm/media_copyprotection_dc
>>>

>>Simple fix: don't buy any music without a CDDA logo clearly stamped on
>>the case/disc/inlay. If there's an album which is unclear, or you won't
>>buy because it's protected, mail the record label, any offical band
>>websites not run directly by the label, and tell your normal music
>>outlet "I refuse to buy this not-CD, please start stocking CDs again
>>instead of round plastic garbage"
>>
>>The CDDA logo is your only proof that a disc is safe - many labels now
>>put out protected discs with no warning on whatsoever.
>>
>>See also my own rant on this, at
>>http://apebox.org/index.php?section=six&content=../modules/rants/music.rant
>>
>>--Jo Shields

For the most part, Linux simply sees through the copy protection on most
hardware. You _CAN_ rip most protected discs. The question, rather, is
should you? Do you want to be a sales statictic that copy protected
discs are okay, for when a new scheme is released later that you're NOT
so lucky with? I'd rather take the "no thanks" option to the "suck it
and see" option

--Jo Shields